The presidency, on Thursday, said every other group that operated like the secessionist group, Indigenous People of Biafra, would also be proscribed and tagged as a terrorist organization.
The Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu, said this during a live television programme titled, ‘Sunrise Daily’ on Channels Television.
Mr. Shehu said IPOB operated like Boko Haram by declaring an independent state and hoisting a foreign flag on Nigerian soil.
He listed the many offenses of IPOB to include;
1. Biafran currency
2. issuing Biafran passports
3. extorting money from people under the guise of compulsory tax collection.
4. sets up an intelligence agency and a para-military organization of sorts
5. Combating with the military
6. Declaring an independent state
7. Hoisting a foreign flag on Nigerian soil.
When asked what the federal government would do if a similar group emerged following the proscription of IPOB, Shehu said, “If another group comes up and produces passports and produces currency and sets up an intelligence agency and a para-military organization of sorts, the law will apply to them as it did to IPOB.”